What is the culture of Union Pacific? For one thing, we don't stand still. We're always advancing our service, our safety, our technology and the careers of our employees. You see, we take continuous improvement seriously, and everyone here has the tools to make it a real part of everything they do.
Here are some of the principles that guide us down the line:
- Vision: We have a clear understanding of where we’re going and how to get there.
- Commitment: We work hard to make good decisions and to do the right thing.
- Communication: We communicate expectations so that our people have a clear understanding of what's ahead and their role in creating success. That means sharing information frequently and listening to what others have to say.
- Teamwork: We understand that we are all part of the same team. We work together to reach common goals, improve safety and increase customer satisfaction. We appreciate each other.
- Respect: We treat one another with respect and value diversity. We maintain the highest ethical standards, corporate citizenship and commitment to safety.
The UP Way
Continuous improvement is the foundation of The UP Way, and it:
- Supports our mission, Dedicated to Serve, and our values – performance, high ethics and teamwork
- Is tied to our Leadership Attributes of vision, commitment, communication, teamwork and respect
- Directly relates to Operating's Six Critical Initiatives: Resource Readiness, Reduce Variability, Leveraging Technology, Capital Effectiveness, Standard Work and Employee Engagement
Safety is very important at UP – from the safety of our train crews to the safety of everyone who drives or walks across a train crossing. We're always looking for innovative approaches to enhance the safety and security of our people, our communities and our customers.
We make sure our workforce represents the country that we serve. That's one reason we have several Employee Resource Groups across the company. They allow the diverse experiences, capabilities and viewpoints of all employees at all levels to be a part of our success.
BEN - Black Employee Network
CONAH - Council On Native American Heritage
LEN - Latino Employee Network
LEAD - A Women's Initiative – Lead Educate Achieve and Develop
UPTIES - Young professional network
AERO - Asian Employee Resource Organization
UPVETS - Veterans Network
BRIDGES - LGBT Network
Healthy WorkforceReal benefits don't just help you pay your doctor's bill. They keep the doctor away.
At Union Pacific, our interest in your health goes far beyond keeping track of your sick days. We encourage you to make healthy decisions every day, at every stage of your life.
That's why we offer assessments and resources, incentives for making good choices and regular events to focus on health. We offer programs throughout the company to help you sleep better, quit smoking and manage stress. You will learn ways to reduce your personal risk for these problems. Also, our employees who work outside of Omaha have access to a wide company-paid network of fitness centers.
To learn more about these and our other world-class benefits, click here
We're also actively involved in the community through our support of the United Way, JDRF, Big Brothers, the Pancreas Cancer Prevention Walk and the Heart Walk. You can learn more about our involvement in the community at the UP Foundation.
EthicsAs a FORTUNE 150 company, we take pride in achieving our success by being an ethical organization. As a company and as individuals, we strive to always do the right thing.
- We obey laws, regulations and our own company policies.
- We protect the safety of our fellow employees, the public and the environment.
- We keep accurate records and truthfully report all financial information.
- We treat people with respect. We act professionally at work.
- We protect the confidential records of our fellow employees, our company and our customers.
- We protect the railroad and our personal reputations by acting with integrity—by never accepting bribes or improper gifts.
We're always working on ways to increase fuel efficiency, reduce energy consumption and recycle used materials – keeping our communities clean. On a single gallon of diesel fuel, we can carry as much freight as 300 trucks on the highway and move one ton of freight nearly 500 miles. We passionately commit ourselves to the environment – while operating ethically and with proper oversight.