I build the future.
What will you build?View Jobs
Bridge and Building Carpenter
What Will You Do?
- Build, repair and maintain buildings and bridges
- Travel throughout your assigned region to work locations as needed
- Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions while following safety rules and regulations
What Will You Learn?
Union Pacific has thousands of bridges along its more than 32,000 miles of track. Each bridge has it's own requirements for upkeep and maintence. In this entry-level position we'll teach you how to frame, install and paint bridge timbers. We'll also train you skills in masonry; including concrete form construction, pile driving and pouring and finishing concrete.
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must have a valid driver's license. You may also be required to obtain your Commercial Driver's License (CDL) during your probationary period.
- You must have the stamina for heavy, physical labor and be able to discriminate between colors.
- You must pass a Workplace Practices Test (see sample) to be considered for an interview.
As a newly hired Bridge and Building Carpenter, you can expect to earn about $30 an hour, with actual pay depending on location and Union-negotiated agreements.
Bridge and Building Carpenters must complete mandated training related to safety, company policies and work procedures. Formal training opportunities are provided to improve basic bridge maintenance and construction skills.
Potential Career Path: