I build the future.
What will you build?View Jobs
Bridge and Building Carpenter
Union Pacific has thousands of bridges along its more than 32,000 miles of track. Compare this to the US Interstate System which has 46,726 miles of road and you realize the importance of this job.
In this entry-level position, you will build, repair and maintain buildings and bridges. On some days, you will be framing and painting bridges. On other days, you will be making masonry repairs, including pouring and finishing concrete.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must speak and read English because you will be asked to follow government regulations and instructions.
- You must have the stamina for heavy, physical labor and be able to discriminate between colors.
- You must pass a Skilled-Craft Battery exam (see sample) to be considered for an interview.
- Bailey Yard (North Platte, NE)
- Hinkle Locomotive Facility (Hinkle, OR)
- Davis Yard (Roseville, CA)
- Jenks Shop (North Little Rock, AR)
As a newly hired Bridge and Building Carpenter, you can expect to earn about $20.00 an hour, with actual pay depending on location and Union-negotiated agreements.
Bridge and Building Carpenters must complete mandated training related to safety, company policies and work procedures. Formal training opportunities are provided to improve basic bridge maintenance and construction skills.