I build the future.
What will you build?View Jobs
Union Pacific has the largest telecommunications network in the United States. It acts as the railroad's central nervous system. As an Installation Technician, you will build and maintain the infrastructure that supports that network. You will work on cables, service wires, supports and conduits. This position also involves microwave and radio tower work and related work with telecommunications equipment.
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must have a valid driver's license.
- You must be able to speak and read English because you will be asked to follow various government regulations and instructions.
- We prefer you have an associate's degree in electronics or at least two years of training in the electronics field.
- You must be able to perform heavy physical labor and distinguish between colors.
- You will occasionally work more than 50 feet above ground and must not be afraid of heights.
- You must pass a Skilled-Craft Battery exam (see sample) to be considered for an interview.
- Bailey Yard (North Platte, NE)
- Hinkle Locomotive Facility (Hinkle, OR)
- Davis Yard (Roseville, CA)
- Jenks Shop (North Little Rock, AR)
As a newly hired Installation Technician, you can expect to earn about $18.78 an hour, with actual pay depending on location and Union-negotiated agreements.
As an Installation Technician, you will receive formal training in communications tower climbing, safety and rescue. You will also learn how to install the major communications components in our telecommunications network. You will be prepared to provide basic infrastructure support.
Potential Career Path: