I build communities.
What will you build?View Jobs
Finance & Accounting
Our Finance department helps set the strategic direction of the company. With responsibility for $13 billion in annual revenue, this department offers careers managing and making the most of UP's $36 billion in assets.
We're looking for college graduates with quantitative degrees in accounting, economics, finance, math or statistics. We need people with strong statistical and analytical skills, who have experience with the latest decision support systems and analytical tools. We need strong communicators with leadership potential.
The Finance department is made up of six major areas; Accounting, Corporate Audit, Corporate Treasury, Planning and Analysis, Real Estate and Tax.
Most new employees start in one of these three:
- Accounting & Financial Analysis- safeguard and manage the company's day-to-day financial assets and process while complying with changing government regulations. The financial analysis teams do long-range financial planning, develop the company's annual operating expense budget, and work daily with other departments to improve spending, productivity and operations throughout the company.
- Corporate Audit- keeps the company on the straight and narrow by keeping things efficient, effective and legal. The team has been internationally recognized for its excellence in internal auditing.
- Planning and Analysis- manage more than $3 billion in capital expenditures each year, evaluate merger and acquisition, and analyze the profitability of more than 10 million freight car shipments each year.
- College graduate with a grade point average of 3.0 or above and with quantitative degrees in accounting, finance, economics, transportation, math, statistics or management information systems
- Strong statistical and analytical skills, with experience with the latest decision support systems and analytical tools.
- Strong communicator with leadership potential.
As a new employee, you will work on a team, with a manager who will mentor your personal and professional progress. Your skills will continue to grow with ongoing professional development and training.
Our employees are constantly challenged to learn new technology and new ways of thinking. Our Educational Assistance Program encourages full-time regular staff employees to take job-related courses during their non-work hours at accredited schools, colleges and universities. The program reimburses employees for 100 percent of tuition up to $5,250 a year.
Union Pacific also provides internal training programs and encourages employees to take advantage of these programs.
Potential Career Path: