I build growth.
What will you build?View Jobs
Mechanical or Electrical Manager
As a manager in the OMT program, you will:
- Gain experience and competence in railroad operations
- Develop first-line management skills to lead a diverse group of skilled craftsmen
- Receive extensive on-the-job and classroom training
- You will take charge of a specific area of one of our mechanical shops. You could supervise locomotive repair or service. You might lead inbound planning, where we prepare to meet the needs of every piece of equipment destined for our shop.
- Upon completion of the comprehensive training program, you will be assigned to a work location where you will lead the inspection, maintenance and repair activities on freight cars and/or locomotives.
- This is an exceptional first-line management opportunity with significant growth potential. Union Pacific operates a dynamic 24/7/365 operation focused on safety and customer service. This opportunity will likely involve shift work in a shop facility type of environment.
We're looking for college graduates with degrees in electrical engineering, industrial engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, electronics engineering, manufacturing engineering, systems engineering, engineering management, industrial management, or supply chain management. We need critical thinkers who thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment and have the confidence to lead a diverse crew of people. Candidates will be required to take an operating management test.
Starting salary: $71,500 – $81,500 (depending on position)*
At 6 Months: $3,500 increase
At Assignment: $82,600 – $96,600
*Based on skills, experience and geographical location. Assignment made upon completion of the training program.
As an OMT, you will have approximately 12 months of on-the-job training combined with formal classroom instruction. Here you will learn about Union Pacific's history and culture, and about how each area of Operations works. Your training will begin at our Omaha, Nebraska, headquarters and continue in a field assignment.
Your education will carry on long after you have left the formal training phase of the Operations Management program. Our employees are constantly challenged to learn new technology and new ways of thinking. Our Educational Assistance Program encourages full-time regular staff employees to take job-related courses during their non-work hours at accredited schools, colleges and universities. The program reimburses employees for 100 percent of tuition up to $5,250 a year.
Union Pacific also provides internal training programs and encourages employees to take advantage of these programs.
Potential Career Path: